One of 16 country houses or 'flak homes' which catered for approximately 25 airmen at a time to come for Rest and Recuperation away from the stress of flying missions. Run by the American Red Cross, each serviceman was entitled to at least one rest period during their 25-30 mission tour.
The original building dates from 1301; it became a private club and golf club in 1906; requisitioned by the government in 1939 and occupied by various RAF sections.
Partially destroyed by fire in 1976 and rebuilt, it continues as a Thames-side luxury hotel.
|27 September 2014 18:02:16||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / D A Lande, from Somewhere in England (Airlife Publishing, UK, 1991)