Harold worked for the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company in Akron, Ohio before and after WWII. After enlisting he was sent to the United States Army Air Forces Technical School at the Lincoln Air Base in Lincoln, Nebraska. There he earned a Diploma in Aircraft Mechanics August 20th 1943. He was then sent to Ford Motor Company Airplane School at Willow Run, Michigan where the B-24 Liberator was being manufactured. There he completed the course of familiarization with the Liberator Bomber as prescribed for the Army Air Forces personnel in first and second echelon airplane and engine maintenance earning a Diploma October 1st, 1943. He was sent to Sudbury, UK assigned to 834BS 486BG, 8th Army Air Force Heavy Bombers Group where he initially worked on the B-24 Liberator (Zodiacs, 2S, Square 0 tail) until they transitioned to the B-17 Flying Fortress (2S, Square W tail) He earned the European-African-Middle Eastern campaign medal for supporting six campaigns: Air Offensive Europe, Normandy (D-Day), Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe.
Units served with
The 486th Bomb Group flew both B-24s and B-17s, swapping from the former aircraft to the latter in late July 1944 after 49 missions. In total the Group flew 292 missions during the war and remarkably the 834th Bomb Squadron lost no aircraft or...
Military site : airfield
Situated between the villages of Great Waldingfield and Acton, the airfield was used by the 486th Bomb Group from March 1944 to August 1945. Facilities for administrative offices for the Combat Wing were also made available here and along with barrack...