Skip to main content

Aerial photograph of Aldermaston airfield looking south. This is post WW2 shot when the airfield had been taken over by BOAC as an aircrew training base. Dakotas, Vikings and Yorks were in use. The control tower is in the centre with T2 hangars above, 10 July 1946. Photograph taken by No. 541 Squadron, sortie number RAF/106G/UK/1646. English Heritage (RAF Photography).

IWM catalogue record

This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.

Aerial photograph of Aldermaston airfield looking south, C-47 Skytrains are parked on grass and Horsa gliders in the revetments, a B-17 Flying Fortress is taxying on the runway; the control tower is in the centre with T2 hangars above, 10 July 1946. Photograph taken by No. 541 Squadron, sortie number RAF/106G/UK/1646. English Heritage (RAF Photography).

Locations

  • Aldermaston

    Military site : airfield
    Aldermaston was built for RAF use in 1941-1942, and handed over to the Eighth Air Force in 1942. It was home to several Troop Carrier Groups, and became an airfield of the Ninth Air Force in 1943. Handed back to the RAF in 1945, it was placed on Care...

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
08 November 2014 17:24:34 MikeO Changes to caption
Sources

Date of photograph means the USAAF were long gone

Date Contributor Update
30 October 2014 11:21:18 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

IWM, English Heritage Collection

Share