Skip to main content
Edit entry 

Burton Rough

Military site : non-airfield

This woodland area was used by 461st Signal Construction Battalion.

Black GIs were also based here.

The site was taken over by Canadian forces signal units by the end of the war.

On a large Beech tree within the woodland is an old penknife inscription which states USA RULE 1944.

Detailed history

Not yet known

English Heritage's record description

Not yet known

Service

People

Revisions

Date Contributor Update
27 April 2015 12:14:40 Emily Changes to description
Sources

Information provided by George Smith, owner of Burton Rough Woodland

Date Contributor Update
27 September 2014 18:02:16 AAM AAM ingest
Sources

Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org/community/archive/index.php/t...
http://www.afhistoricalfoundation.org/resources/Researchers_Corner.asp

Share