A temporary grass airstrip in the grounds of Breamore House, used as HQ by US VII Corps from October 1943, & as temporary HQ by US 3rd Army under General Patton from June to July 1944.
The strip was used by light liaison aircraft such as L-4s of the Artillery Air Sections of both HQ VII Corps & HQ 3rd Army. It remained in use until August 1944 and was then absorbed back into the estate.
There were several such temporary US Army liaison airstrips around Hampshire & Dorset in May-June 1944.
|27 September 2014 18:02:16||AAM||AAM ingest|
Barry Anderson, Army Air Forces Stations (Alabama, 1985) / http://www.hampshireairfields.co.uk/airfields/bre.html