During the Second World War the airfield, then known as RAF Abu Sueir or Abu Sueir Airfield (LG-205) was used as a military airfield by the Royal Air Force of the United Kingdom and the American United States Army Air Forces during the North African Campaign against Axis forces.
USAAF Ninth Air Force units which used the airfield were:
376th Bombardment Group, 8 November 1942-January 1943, Consolidated B-24 Liberator
512th Bombardment Squadron, 9 November 1942-10 February 1943513th Bombardment Squadron, 8 November 1942-10 February 1943514th Bombardment Squadron, 8 November 1942-10 February 1943515th Bombardment Squadron, 8 November 1942-6 February 1943
In the mid 1950s, the base was the last station to be handed over by the RAF to the Egyptians. This was despite the fact that Abu Sueir and Fanara were the two bases to be retained, to be maintained by civilian contractors. Abu Sueir was handed over to Egypt on 14 April 1956.
English Heritage's record description
Not yet known
Constituted as 376th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 19 Oct 1942 and activated in Palestine on 31 Oct. Began combat immediately, using B-24 aircraft. Operated with Ninth AF from bases in the Middle East, Nov 1942-Sep 1943, and with Twelfth AF from Tunisia...
Military | Staff Sergeant (3rd Grade) | Waist Gunner | 376th Bomb Group
Military | First Lieutenant | Navigator | 376th Bomb Group
Military | Major | B-24 Command Pilot | 376th Bomb Group
Maj John Marshall “Jack” Toomey
Military | Second Lieutenant | Co-Pilot | 376th Bomb Group
One of 23 B-24 Liberators assigned to the Halverson Detachment (HALPRO) which departed the US in May 1942 to join the 10th Air Force in the China, Burma, India Theatre of operations. The HALPRO aircraft were then assigned to the 376th Bomb Group when...