Day out on the River Cam. CWO Edward B Richie, 864th Air Engineering Squadron, is in front and Sergeant Markowitz sits behind.
From his son, Mark Richie: "The boat is a 75 gallon metal drop tank used on P-47s. The Sargent with him was the head of the metal shop and they fashioned this little boat out of scrap wood and rubber canopy lining material along the edge of the opening.
Colors obviously from what was available. This photo taken in Cambridge."
Correction - the tank is a 150 gallon one. The 150 had a flat bottom, making it far more stable when used as a boat, and the shape of the front end confirms its capacity. The 150 came into use in mid February 1944 - about the time the 4th were converting to P-51s.