IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
Aerial photograph of Martlesham Heath airfield looking south west, the ammunition dump is on the left, the control tower and airfield code are to the right of the runway intersection, 28 July 1948. Photograph taken by No. 58 Squadron, sortie number RAF/58/80. English Heritage (RAF Photography).
Military site : airfield
Opened in 1917 as home to the RFC Aeroplane Experimental Unit, Martlesham Heath became well known during the 1920s-30s as home to the Aircraft and Armament Experimental Establishment. Used as an RAF fighter station from 1939, with only a grass airfield...