IWM catalogue record
This contains information written on the back of the original print and some of it may be inaccurate.
The nose art of a B-24 Liberator (serial number 42-94863) nicknamed "Ole Baldy" of the 493rd Bomb Group. Image via Mark Brown, AFA. Written on slide casing: 'Ol Baldy, 490 BG.' This aircraft was assigned to the 490th Bomb Group but flew no missions with them, before being transferred to the 493rd Bomb Group in Spring 1944.
The 490th Bomb Group, like the 486th and 487th Bomb Groups transitioned from flying B-24 Liberators to B-17 Flying Fortresses, which were used in combat missions from late August 1944. Based at Eye, Suffolk, the Group were focused in the early months...
The 493rd Bomb Group was the last Eighth Air Force Group to become operational, flying their first combat mission from Debach, Suffolk, on D-Day, 6 June 1944. The Group was known as "the Fighting 493rd", named by their Commanding Officer Colonel Elbert...